4. Chain House
This Grade II* listed building, with Jacobean cottages behind, was erected during the Queen Anne period 1702-1714. During restoration a skeleton was found with a dagger nearby behind a walled up section. The name derives from chains which crossed the road for toll purposes during markets and fairs.
Continue to the Tannery on the corner of Back Street.