12. Barracks 1794 Guard House
The Barracks was once a billet for soldiers stationed here to defend the South Devon coast and Plymouth against invasion during the Napoleonic Wars. From 1794 for some twenty years, there were resident regiments of Dragoon Guards, East Devon Militia, Surrey Fencibles and the North Gloucesters. This made Modbury a busy garrison town that boasted five public houses. The Barracks wall and the two guardhouses remain.
Head down Barracks Road to the school.